Hatcher’s Plantation was started in 1808 by Seth Hatcher. The actual house was built between 1820-1840. There is some dispute over the date the house was originally built, some say 1810 and other say 1842. At least one record indicates that the home was built by Seth Hatcher for his bride who passed away before she ever had the chance to live in the home.
The house is an antebellum Italianate design. During the early to mid-1800’s Italianate architecture became popular in the United States by American architect Alexander Jackson Davis. Characteristics of Italianate architecture are the low-pitched hipped roofs, projecting eaves supported by corbels, imposing cornice structures, and arch-headed windows.
After Seth Hatcher’s death in 1843, his son, Daniel Hatcher assumed control of the farm. About that same time, he and his nephews began the Powhatan Clay Pipe Factory on property just north of the home. They made the famous Powhatan Clay Pipes there for more than 50 years. It was customary during that time for plantation owners in Powhatan County to give their visiting guests a Powhatan Clay pipe.
In 1912 Daniel Hatcher died at Hatcher’s Plantation. Having left no will, the home fell into probate. Hatcher’s Plantation remained empty until 1917 when Mr. T.M. Carrington purchased the home. In 1926, the Carrington’s sold the home to Mr. R.C. Goodwyn. Two generations of Goodwyns were born and raised (and married) in the home. In 2016, The Goodwyn family sold Hatcher’s Plantation to the Llewellyn family.
The Llewellyns renovated the kitchen in 2018. All three of the Llewellyn (Weems) boys were married at Hatcher's Plantation as well. The Llewellyns rebuilt the dock on the pond after a tree took out the previous dock during a storm. They also added the pergola on the pond and the gazebo in the front. The barn was gutted in 2016 and the salvaged wood was used for the barn doors and some furntiure inside of the home.
Hatcher’s Plantation consists of the house, garage, eight outbuildings, and a 1.5-acre heart-shaped pond. The outbuildings consist of three original slave quarters (2 are one room log homes with chimney and one is a 1 ½ story home with 4 rooms and a large brick chimney), a creamery, chicken coop, corn crib, smokehouse, and barn. All are original structures to the 1808 plantation with the exception of the barn and garage which were added by the Goodwyn’s in 1943. The house is 3676 square feet – with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 sunrooms, and formal living and dining rooms.
Hatcher's Plantation is a private residence.